I.1 Student Regiment Background
The Student Regiment (well known as Menwa) is a civilian force that is trained and prepared to defend the Republic of Indonesia as Total People’s Defense and Security System (Sistem Pertahanan dan Keamanan Rakyat Semesta). Menwa is a reserve component of the state defense and security that is given basic military training such as the use of weapons, combat tactics, survival, parachuting, military self-defense, military gymnastics, disguise, navigation and so on.
- As a component of the State forces, Menwa holds the role to plan, prepare, and arrange the students potential in every province level I, to carry out the function as the state reserve component;
- As a component of the State forces, Menwa holds the role to plan, prepare, and arrange the students’ potential in every province level I, to carry out the fuction as public protection (perlindungan masyarakat / linmas).
- As an exclusive student activity unit in the university, Menwa have the duty to raise patriotism and help the implementation of activities and other programs in the university.
- To prepare the students to have faith and morals as well as have ability in the knowledge, technology, and/or art fields, and an insights on patriotism to develop their potential to be productive individuals for personal life, the society, nation, and humanity;
- As a component of the State forces, Menwa takes part to implement and defend every Indonesia’s land and maritime territory;
- To help embed and work up on patriotism (Bela Negara) values among the society;
- To help the Indonesian National Army in the implementation of security in accordance with the constitution;
- To help the local government in public protection (perlindungan masyarakat / linmas);
- To help overcome the aftermath of natural disasters, shelters, and providing humanitarian assistance;
- To help on search and rescue on accidents;
- Together with the all of the students to help implementing a peaceful and orderly university environment;
- To help the implementation of activities and programs in the university and other student activities;
- To deliver advices and considerations to the university, Regional Military Commander (Panglima Komando Militer / Pangdam) or Military Resort Commander (Komandan Resor Militer), and Governor.
I.2. STUDENT REGIMENT OF UPN "VETERAN" JAKARTA
UPN “Veteran” Jakarta is one of the platform that plays role in shaping the national generation’s soul and character to become reliable, nationalism-oriented, creative, and dedicated to welcome the better future. The awareness of patriotism (Bela Negara) is more focused and fundamentally universal, the implementation is way flexible to the national interest and current development that is oriented to the national interest, needs, and the citizen development condition, so that the realization of Indonesian citizens who have the awareness of defending the country, nation and state as well the implementation of patriotism (Bela Negara).
For that reason, UPN “Veteran” Jakarta Student Regiment has already embeded the awareness of patriotism (Bela Negara), guided to shape and improve the personality into one with nationalism and loyalty, have the awareness of patriotism as a way to improve Indonesia’s human resources as a whole, as well as a requirement to build the country’s defense system.
To prepare the students as national’s intelectual generation and citizen that is prepared with the ability and insights regarding militray as for defense and security of the country as well as other skills that are utilized for broader society towards the full and intact development of individual talents and personalities.
Empowering Menwa towards the transformation of adult’s competent, who have a conscience and sensitivity to dare to be involved in endeavor. Strengthening the national identity of the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia (NKRI). Forming students to have strong both in mentally and physically, highly disciplined as the National Cadres. Training by soldiers in order to prepare potential regarding national defense and security. Cultivating role models as in individuals everywhere in an effort to create a safe and conducive environment. Forming and sharpen awareness of changes that can harm other individuals on a large scale.